Students in 8th grade may earn one Carnegie unit for passing the following approved courses if the course is taught by a teacher who is certified 6 -12 in his/her specific content area:
- Accelerated Algebra I
- Algebra I
- Physical Science (HS Course)
- Introduction to Digital Technology
- Introduction to Business and Technology
- Spanish I
A student's parent/guardian is required to sign the Carnegie Unit Credit Decision Form at the end of the school year indicating either the credit for the course(s) taken will be for middle school credit or as a Carnegie Unit towards high school graduation; this year, the form will be completed electronically through the Parent Portal.
Students may not earn 1/2 Carnegie credit for courses. Courses that earn a high school Carnegie credit in middle school will not be used in the grade point average (GPA) calculation for high school, nor will be used in GPA calculations for the HOPE scholarship according to current Georgia Student Finance Commission rules for HOPE.
Both semester grades (not the yearly average) will be used to determine credit earned. If the student successfully passes both semesters, then a 'P' will be placed on the transcript and not a grade. A 'P' will equal 1.0 unit of Carnegie Credit earned.
If necessary, translated forms can be completed for each eligible class and may be submitted to the front office before the deadline that will be communicated at a later date.
The process of application for Carnegie Units for 8th grade students will open on May 2, 2022. Please review the following information about this process:
- Parents must log in into the parent portal on the PARENT VUE mobile app to make their selections. Use this LINK for directions or review the video below (no sound included).
- If you do not have a parent portal account or you are having technical difficulties, contact our registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Direct questions about Carnegie Units to the high school your student will be attending. Here is the Rising 9th Grade page for Duluth High School: https://www.gcpsk12.org/domain/10627
Video for how to accept Carnegie Units