• Dacula Elementary School History

    Records indicate that the first Dacula School was located at 192 W. Dacula Road in 1892.  It was a small two story building constructed on land donated by Dr. S. H. Freeman.  In 1910 a new brick building housed students from grades one through ten.  It has been said that this building and the academic progress of the Dacula students was the pride of local officials for many years.

    As the tight-knit community prospered, so did the school.  A new grammar school building was added in 1931, the elementary grades achieved standardization and the high school became accredited for the first time.  During the 1930’s Dacula was recognized as an academic, athletic, and vocational leader in Gwinnett County and the state of Georgia.  Again the campus grew as a gymnasium, vocational building, lunchroom, canning plant, and garage were added.

    Tragedy struck during the spring of 1944.  Both academic buildings were destroyed by fire.  Dacula students continued to attend school but for now their lessons were taught in make shift classrooms in the remaining buildings on campus. Lack of proper classrooms did not hinder the success of the students.  Dacula continued to receive acclaim for academic and athletic achievements.

    By the fall of 1947, a new classroom building opened.  It was funded through the efforts of the community utilizing local bonds, generous donations by prominent Dacula families, along with federal assistance secured by Senator Richard B. Russell.

    Consolidation became the norm during the 50’s.  However, the Dacula community was so determined to preserve its local school identity that a court battle ensued to prevent Dacula students from consolidating with Central Gwinnett High as one of the four proposed high schools in Gwinnett County.  This victory was not without cost.  During this time, between the 1950’s and into the 90’s, Dacula was known as a closed and sleepy little community nestled in the northeast corner of progressive Gwinnett County.

    School facilities increased and improved but at a much slower rate than other parts of the county. A separate classroom wing was built in 1960, then additional classrooms, labs, a library, and office space in 1964.  Ten years later, Dacula High School became an independent unit leaving grades one through seven to occupy the Dacula Road campus.  Dacula Elementary and Middle School shared the same address until 1990 when Dacula Elementary moved to a new campus at 2500 Fence Road.

    As Dacula has experienced rapid growth over the past 20 years, the Dacula student population has been met by outstanding classroom teachers, knowledgeable support staff, and dynamic local administrative leaders. Facilities and addresses have changed but the pride of belonging to a successful Dacula school remains.  

    Respectfully submitted by Faith Webb

    Information sources: 
    1923 Gwinnett County Public School Publication,
    The History of Gwinnett County Public Schools, 1984,
    History of Gwinnett County Public Schools, 1989 edition,
    Flanigan, James C.  History of Gwinnett County Georgia, 1818-1942 Volume 1.  Book Crafters, Inc.  Fredericksburg, Virginia, 1995.
    The opportunity to be a part of the Dacula Elementary School Family from 1986-2004