Who Serves on a School Council?
School councils are comprised of a minimum of seven council members:
- The principal
- At least two certificated teachers elected by the teachers
- A number of parents elected by the parents, so that parents make up a majority of the council. At least 2 parents must be businesspersons
- Other members as specified in the council's bylaws
Council members serve a term of two years, or for a term specified in the council's bylaws.
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of Council Members?
All members of the School Council must:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues,
- Regularly participate in council meetings,
- Participate in information and training programs,
- Act as a link between the school council and the community,
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community, and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.
What is the Role of the Local Board of Education with School Councils?
The local board of education shall:
- Provide all information not specifically made confidential by law
- Assign an employee of the school system to attend council meetings when requested
- Receive and consider all recommendations, including the annual report, of the school council
The local board of education shall respond to recommendations of the council within 60 days after being notified in writing of the recommendation.
Meeting Dates, Times, & Locations
Location: Crews MS
2022-2023 School Council Members
Name Relationship to School Cindy Moffett (Principal) Principal Tim Andrews (Chair) Parent / Business Person Alice Scott (Vice-Chair) Parent / Business Person Jessie Kelly (Secretary) Certified Teacher / Parent Chevonne Baker School's AA Robin Banks-Jackson Parent/Business Person Ali Burrous Parent Dr. LeToiya Carter-Robinson Parent / Business Person James Clinkscales Parent / Business Person Nicole Coaker Parent Safiya Colbert Parent Dr. Jeffrey Dunn Certified Teacher Tim Emmett Parent/Community Partner Dr. Veneetia Johnson Parent Irfan Lakhani Parent Lance Layson Parent/Business Person Brittany Manuel Parent Suzanne Najbrt Parent/Business Person Amanda Roberson Parent Vequi Romero Parent Anna Walker Parent Ron Weber Business Person / Community Partner